Murray Rorison, Operations Manager at Media Theme, spills all on his role, day-to-day life at work and the funny experiences he’s had during his time in the business.
1. Tell us your name and your role at Media Theme. Murray Rorison. My role is operations manager…or ‘El Capitan’ to my friends! My role is to make sure that Media Theme is running as well as it can be, with a smooth and efficient service that meets the needs and expectations of our customers. I also build relationships with businesses to provide them with products that bring them success.
2. How long have you been working at Media Theme? Over 6 years (and I certainly had more hair back then!
3. What were you doing before you worked at Media Theme? I was an AV/TV engineer for many years.
4. Tell us more about your role at Media Theme. My role is diverse – one day I can be dealing with large corporate groups, and the next day dealing with a pub in the Shetland Islands, and all of the logistics that involves. I also work with the development team to bring us new products, always looking towards the future of technology within our industry.
5. What is your favourite part of the job? My favourite part of my job is working with my staff, because without them working hard I would be nothing (cheesy I know, but they make it all worth it).
6. What’s the most interesting/funny thing you’ve experienced in your job? Back when I first started and I was a top engineer (ha ha), myself and the supervisor, Karl (the real top engineer!) were travelling back from a job in Wales. We were driving down a country road and could see a queue of traffic up ahead. When we reached the front of the queue, we saw a newly born foal (baby horse) in the road; it had fallen through a hedge and was running up and down the road with its mother going crazy on the other side of the hedge. My colleague Karl then decided to chase after the foal before grabbing hold of its mane to try to lead it up the road. But the foal tripped Karl up and he ended up falling flat on his face! Karl, with plenty of expletives thrown in, then asked me to help him walk the foal up the hill. So I grabbed hold of its behind, getting covered in placenta in the process as it was that new born, and we lead the foal back to its mother, having to heave it over a gate in the process as we couldn’t open it. I then had to drive home covered in horse placenta. From then on, we were known as international rescue!!
7. What attracted you to working at Media Theme? The unique products that we sell, and having the ability to travel and see different parts of the fine country that we live in.
8. What makes Media Theme/The Entertainer so unique to you? I think The Entertainer is a unique product that can improve a venue’s entertainment. When a customer uses it to its full potential, it can really improve a venue’s footfall, eventually leading to more sales.
9. What’s your favourite game on The Entertainer? My favourite has to be the quiz; I like to think I have good general knowledge (Pluto is smaller than Russia).
10. What’s your ‘go to’ karaoke song? I can’t sing, but probably would be ‘Hey Jude’ by The Beatles (Nah nah nah nah nah, hey Jude) – that’s a pretty safe bet!